Chelsea part ways with manager Antonio Conte

Share

The Blues' non-World Cup players are expected to return to the Cobham training ground this weekend for fitness tests and body fat appraisals.

Premier League giants Chelsea have announced the sacking of Antonio Conte.

Around two hours after Saturday's announcement of Sarri's arrival at Chelsea, the English club said Jorginho had joined on a five-year deal from Napoli.

Chelsea have finally confirmed Maurizio Sarri as their new manager, a day after Antonio Conte was shown the door.

He will be tasked with returning Chelsea to Europe's top club competition after they finished fifth in the Premier League - outside the Champions League qualification places for the second time in three seasons.

Conte led Chelsea to the 2016-17 Premier League title in his first season as boss, reviving the side from a 10th-placed finish the previous campaign.

Patrice Evra demands respect for Paul Pogba after goal
While celebrating with his teammates in the dressing room after the match, Pogba live streamed the celebrations on Instagram. Pogba, if fact, has been praised for his stellar play for his home country.

Following media reports the Italian had been shown the door, the London club said on Friday: "We wish Antonio every success in his future career".

Playmaker Cesc Fabregas "liked" a message welcoming Conte's departure on Twitter, later apologising and suggesting he had pressed the button in error.

Chelsea's usual policy is to continue to pay a sacked manager's salary until the expiry of the contract or until he finds a new job.

There is a strong argument that this is the most turbulent time of Abramovich's ownership.

His first game in charge will be in the friendly with Perth Glory on July 23.

Sarri won plaudits for the expansive passing football his Napoli team played in the three seasons he was in charge, but he failed to halt Juventus' dominance of Serie A and ended his spell in southern Italy without a trophy.

Share