India expresses outrage over release of Hafiz Saeed

Share

Mr. Awan said that the government's lawyers had repeatedly argued in court that Mr. Saeed was a threat to public safety and that his release could lead to worldwide penalties for Pakistan for not moving against terrorism financing. After the ruling, Dogar said that the JuD chief will walk free on Thursday night if the Punjab Pakistan government doesn't press more charges and detain him.

On November 22, 2017, Lahore High Court in Pakistan has ordered the release from house arrest of Hafeez Saeed, Islamist leader accused of masterminding the 2008 attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people.

The banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah head, who carries a bounty of United States dollars 10 million announced by the USA for his role in terror activities, has been under detention since January. The government of Pakistan's Punjab province had asked for a 60-day extension to Saeed's detention but the request was turned down by the court.

Saeed and his four aides - Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal Shahbaz, Abdur Rehman and Qazi Kashif Hussain - had been under house arrest since January under the Anti-Terrorism Act.

Manhunt underway after police officer slain in Pennsylvania
Police have identified the shooter as 29-year-old Rahmael Sal Holt and released a photo of him on Twitter late Saturday evening. Police have recovered a brown, older model Jeep Grand Cherokee wanted in connection with the shooting.

Following the decision, Saeed told media that an end to his detention was tantamount to the victory of truth and called the decision "a serious blow" to India's demands that he be kept in custody and punished for the 2008 massacre, Dawn online reported.

"I am very happy that none of the allegations against me proved as three judges of the LHC ordered my release.India had levelled baseless allegations against me". He used the release order to buttress his claims of "innocence".

An official said that the JuD activities are "already under the scanner", and this time, "we may again take action". He informed that India has sought sovereign guarantee from the government of Pakistan to ensure safety, security of both Kulbhushan Jadhav's mother and wife.

Saeed, who Kumar described as the "prime organizer of the Mumbai terror attack in which many Indians and nationals of several other countries were killed", was also "responsible for unleashing numerous other terror attacks against Pakistan's neighbours", he said. India accused Pakistan of sponsoring the attacks through the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), which Saeed had founded in the 1990s.

Share